The History of Foundation of Irano British Chamber of Commerce, Industries and Mines
Iran and Britain Joint Chamber of Commerce was founded in 1978 in Tehran as Iran & Britain Chamber of Commerce. Soon, with the changes in the administrative and political structure of the country, the activity of the chamber fell into abeyance. Although it was not officially closed down, the chamber was practically dissolved. It took 20 years for the chamber to be reopened. In the meanwhile, the trade relationships between the two countries remained in the lowest level possible without breaking down.
Rebuilding economic relations between the two countries
British Iranian Chamber of Commerce was established in London at the beginning of 1999. Lord Waverly, the Chairman of the board of BICC, together with other members of the board, visited the Chairman of the board of Iran Chamber of Commerce, Industries & Mines, and other members of the board. During their lengthy negotiations, they talked about the necessity of developing mutual trade relations and reopening of Irano British Chamber of Commerce.
Following this event, a group of merchants and industrialists and some Iranian and foreign companies gathered together in Iran Chamber as the founding delegation for Irano British Chamber of Commerce, Industries & Mines, and according to article 5 of the laws of Iran Chamber announced their entity consisting of the following people:
- Eng. Alinaghi Khamoushi, the chairman of the board of Iran Chamber, and CEO of Jame’e and Motahari spinning and weaving factories
- Ala Mirmohammadsadeghi, first vice-chairman of Iran Chamber, and chairman of the board of Mazandaran and Semnan cement factories
- Asadollah Asgaroladi, vice-chairman of Iran Chamber, and chairman of the board of Hassas Export Co.
- Eng. Ali Kolahdouz Esfahani, chairman and the then CEO of Almahdi Aluminium Co. and the deputy of Ministry of Petroleum
- Dr Amir Houshang Amini, senior economic advisor, and the head of Iran Chamber’s Centre for Economic Investigations, vice-chairman and CEO of Iranian Technical and Engineering Services Co., and vice-chairman of Iran Padidar Co.
- Ja’far Zarrebini, Chairman of the board and CEO of Mahoot Co.
- Eng. Farhad Rahnama, chairman of the board of Polar Saunier Duval Co.
- Ahmad Moosavi Akhavan, CEO of Toli Tech Co.
The board of directors
The above-mentioned founding delegation selected the board of directors after several meetings of discussions about the articles of incorporation prepared by a group of members of the founding delegation and Iran Chamber’s Centre for Economic Investigations, and approving it in the general assembly of the founding director. The member of the board are as follows:
- Eng. Alinaghi Khamoushi (chairman)
- Dr Amir Houshang Amini (board member and Secretary General)
- Asadollah Asgaroladi (first vice-chairman)
- Ja’far Zarrebini (second vice-chairman)
- Eng. Ali Kolahdouz Esfahani (treasurer)
- Ahmad Moosavi Akhavan (board member)
- Ala Mirmohammadsadeghi (board member)
- Eng. Farhad Rahnama (board member)
The board of directors immediately started the legal procedure for registering the chamber and then attracting members. The official activity of the chamber started at the beginning of 2000 in Iran Chamber’s building.